IT Services provides all current faculty, staff, and students with a uchicago.edu email address based on your CNetID. Your email address takes the format of
Mail options vary by role within the university and are dependent upon acceptance of the official university policy which states that protected data and emails (including sensitive student, financial, and research data) should not be forwarded or stored outside the campus network.
- Faculty and staff are encouraged to use xMail for its broadly integrated university calendar management tools, so that arranging meetings becomes facile. Alternatively, faculty and staff can opt for Gmail as part of G Suite (formerly Google Apps), or can forward their email to departmental mail servers.
- Graduate students are encouraged to use Gmail. Those who need common calendaring services with faculty and staff or handle sensitive data may instead select xMail. Alternatively, graduate students who do not manage sensitve data can opt to forward their email to departmental mail servers or an off-site tool of their choice.
- Undergraduate students are offered mail forwarding to a off-site tool of their choice.
xMail is the campus enterprise email system, based on Microsoft Exchange. xMail is available to faculty, graduate students, and staff and supports a variety of collaborative features, including integration with the campus directory, shared mailboxes, and shared calendars. Visit the xMail page to learn about its features, configuration, best-practices guide, and more.
UChicago Gmail is the campus Google email system, one elemement in a set of services called G Suite. G Suite is available to faculty, staff, and graduate students and supports a variety of collaborative tools and features. Visit gmail.uchicago.edu to learn more.
Mail forwarding is a means for forwarding all mail sent to your address,
CNetID@uchicago.edu, to an alternate departmental or external account. It is an option for faculty, graduate students, and staff, and is a requirement for students in the College. See Email Forwarding for instructions.
- Create or edit an alias for your @uchicago.edu address
See Email Aliases Documentation
- Set up xMail’s Automatic Reply feature
- Manage your junkmail filters
See Junkmail Documentation
Options for Alumni with @alumni.uchicago.edu email addresses
Visit the Alumni Email page to learn more about email options.
View this service’s calendar of scheduled maintenance windows for information about possible service disruptions.