Academic Technologies Software Consultations
IT Services Academic Technology Software Consultation matches skilled graduate and undergraduate students with faculty, staff, and students seeking assistance with general computing and statistical software. This service is offered at no cost to faculty, staff, and students.
Set up an Appointment
During the Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters Software Consultants are available by appointment at the TECHB@R. Software consultants will be unavilable during the interim between quarters.
To schedule an appointment:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org from your official @uchicago.edu email address or include your CNetID in the body of the email.
- In the email include:
- the name of the software you would like to consult about
- a brief description of the project or problem you would like to consult about
- a couple times that you are available to meet
Note: Assistance subjected to availability of software consultants with the appropriate expertise.
- Advanced Excel (financial accounting & modeling)
- R Statistical Package
- Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Basic Stata
- Basic SPSS (including Econometrics)
- MatLab (multiple tool boxes)
- Basic LaTeX (modifying templates)
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Google Apps
- And possibly more…email email@example.com to find out
What to expect during a Software Consultation:
In general, consultations will last about an hour, though the depending on the nature of your question or project they may be shorter or longer. The format will be tailored to your needs. For example, if you are new to a software package, the consultant will point to resources and will offer tips for getting started. Or, if you are experienced with the software but have run into a problem, the consultant will work with you to find a solution.