UChicago Website Wins Webbys
April 30 was a big day. The World Wide Web turned 20. Willie Nelson celebrated his 80th birthday. And we are VERY pleased to announce that the recent redesign of the University home page (www.uchicago.edu) has won TWO Webby Awards!
We've been honored in the School/University category for websites with both the Webby Award and the Webby People's Voice Award. These awards recognize excellence on the internet.
Superstar judges love us
The Webby Award winners were determined by a panel of judges including musicians David Bowie and Damian Kulash of OK Go, Internet co-inventor Vint Cerf, The Huffington Post's Arianna Huffington, Twitter founder Biz Stone, "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening, and many more.
And of course the People's Voice Award was determined by popular vote. MANY thanks to all of you who helped us edge out our talented competition.
We're in amazing company
There were 11,000 entries from all 50 states and over 60 countries worldwide, and the list of winners in various categories is astounding. Here are some of the folks we'll see at the awards ceremony:
- DoSomething.org: Best Charitable Organizations/Non-Profit (Webby Winner)
- NYTimes: Best News & Information (Social) (Webby & People's Voice Winner)
- Dropbox: (Webby Awards for Best Utilities & Services (Handheld Devices) and People's Voice Awards for Best Practices (Website Features and Design), Best Utilities and Services (Handheld Devices), Best Utilities and Services (Tablet and all other devices), Best Web Services & Applications (General Website))
- Google Maps for iPhone: (Webby and People's Voice for Best use of GPS or Location Technology (All Devices), Best User Experience (All Devices) and People's Voice for Best Guides/Ratings/Reviews (Handheld Devices))
- Tumblr: (Webby and People's Voice Awards for Best User Experience (Website Features and Design) and Best Community (General Website) and People's Voice Award for Best Social (Tablet and All other Devices))
- HBO Go: (Webby Awards for Best Media Streaming Service (All Devices), Webby and People's Voice for Best Practices (All Devices)and People's Voice Award for Best Consumer Electronics & Services Website (Websites, Micro Sites, and Rich Media))
- Pinterest: (Webby and People's Voice Awards for Best Social (Handheld Devices), Best Social Media (General Website))
We're full of thanks
The New York Times calls the Webbys "the Internet's highest honor." We couldn't have won this without the hard work and dedication of many, many colleagues and friends across IT Services and University Communications.
Congratulations to ITS project manager Stacey Shintani, designer Andre Marques, and front-end developer Jack Auses on this great honor!